Pages

5.08.2013

Why would you homeschool?



Hello all..

My post yesterday was letting you all know that I have been thinking of homeschooling my daughter.

My most frequently asked question is "Are you "actually" am thinking of homeschooling?"

When I respond with a yes..I actually am...

The next question asked is,"Why would you do that?"

Well..let me tell ya!

This is ONE article of homeschool information and the most recent I have read...

It is written by Spencer Irvine at Accuracy in Academia.

According to researchers, disgust, dissatisfaction and disillusionment with the U.S. public school system is on the rise, so much so that the number of homeschoolers is on the rise.
“Since 1999, the number of children who are being homeschooled has increased by 75%,” Julia Lawrence reports in Education News. “Although currently only 4% of all school children nationwide are educated at home, the number of primary school kids whose parents choose to forgo traditional education is growing seven times faster than the number of kids enrolling in K-12 every year.”

It doesn't look like homeschooling is falling off the charts at all..it is actually growing and becoming more popular at a very fast rate! 

How about the real stuff...education...test scores???

“Data shows that those who are independently educated typically score between 65th and 89th percentile on such exams, while those attending traditional schools average on the 50th percentile,” Lawrence relates

Not to mention that most students who are homeschool have higher ACT scores than those in public schools..which we all know is a major factor of getting into a college of choice...and they have a higher GPA once they get into college.

Here is just a little fun fact:
Homeschoolers that are schooled by their parents cost around $500-$600 per year.(and that is up to you on how much you spend on a certain curriculum) In public schools, the cost per student averages $10,000 per year.

Wow.. really?
Now that is what you call a major difference!

And let's just mention for good measure the recent shootings scare the life out of me!
Hoax or not
put on by the government or not
It scares me

Along with the daily lockdowns of local schools because of bomb threats...talk of someone on campus with a gun..etc.
Local schools..Little community schools..
It is getting crazy..so crazy that I don't feel safe with my child going.

I've been told they are just pranks..kids trying to get out of school..which is fine..Thank God they are just pranks..but while they are playing pranks..kids are being locked up in a safe room for hours...
How is that for socialization? Being elbow to elbow for hours on end worrying if there is actually a bomb somewhere. What happens if your child's lunch hour twenty minutes is at that particular prank time? They just have to wait? Do they serve lunch in a safe room? What if your child has to go to the bathroom? What if your child has a nervous stomach and has to go to the bathroom again? Do you think they will be "allowed"?

Oh..it makes me cringe just thinking about it.

So...Why would I homeschool?

God entrusted this Baby Girl in my care...he placed her in my womb and gave me the job to care and protect her. I want her to be happy, comfortable, fed, independent, secure, and safe!

I know our decision hasn't been made and there is still a chance that Baby Girl might go to public school..but right now..my thoughts are leaning to Strongly Disagree!













1 comment:

  1. Again, my only regret regarding homeschooling is that we didn't start out this way from the very beginning. I could tell you stories upon stories, but I won't. Go with that Mama instinct. YOU know what's best for YOUR child. I agree: God gave them to us to raise/educate for Him. No one else can do a better job at that than a mother.

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to know that I am not talking to myself. I love reading your comments and I try to respond to each and every one! Thank you for stopping by!