Pages

4.22.2013

The duties of an apron



Hello Monday!
First of all if you are reading this I want to say I am so glad you are here. I have really enjoyed blogging...and it is so nice to know that sometimes that I am not talking to myself.

I blog to record memories.
I blog to record pictures.
I blog to remember old times.

Six weeks ago I started a Bible Study with a wonderful group of women to dive deep into Proverbs 31 and really get to know this perfect woman. (Bible Study materials from Courtney at Women Living Well and Good Morning Girls) I knew this could be very depressing or very enjoying. I will admit..there are times where I can feel God thumping me on the head ..and other times where I think "Hey! I already do that!"

I have loved the study...I love the conversation and ideas we have together in our group..It is such a blessing to me!

A couple weeks ago we studied Proverbs 31:17
She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms. (KJV)

I read and study in many different versions of the Bible...just to get a good feeling of what the verse is saying.

Here is a bit of my study that I posted in my group:

I kind of had a different view of the girdeth her loins.. so bare with me..
When you look up loins..you get Hips..
When I looked up girdeth I got..put a belt on, bind..gird to me sounds like guard...
so out of all this I got .... PUT an APRON on! LOL!
I know I know...probably makes no sense to you..but for me.. my grandma always wore an apron...I remember as a little girl when I wanted to help cook, clean or garden..i put my apron on.. I have a gardening apron that I do wear now..but guess what? I am buying one to cook and clean in! :)


What can I say..I go where the Lord leads me. Whatever that may be! LOL.

It reminded me of a post I did two years ago about the history of an apron. Bare with me I am on an apron kick..

Here is that post two years ago:



The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few. It was also because it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and aprons used less material. But along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables.

After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

It had strings perfect for little hands to tug on to get attention

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men folks knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.


Aprons were useful
they were a tool
they were a duster
they were a tear wiper
they were a blanket
they were memories

I have been called a 28 year old grandma so if that is what you are thinking ..You will not offend me. I take pride in that. I dream of vintage days..where people sat on the porch with tea and gossiped chatted about the other people in town. LOL.

Have a great week!
I am going shopping for an apron!






No comments:

Post a Comment

It is so nice to know that I am not talking to myself. I love reading your comments and I try to respond to each and every one! Thank you for stopping by!